Category Archives: community

Vote!

I voted already this morning.  My husband, daughter and I went to the local high school, polling place for District 1 of our town, and voted.  Who I voted for really doesn’t matter (especially since I live in an uncontested … Continue reading

Posted in community, everyday life, Life in Connecticut, New England, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Home Alone

If I could remake the 1990 film, Home Alone, the mom would be the one left behind.  Ah, the joy.  She would rush out of the bathroom and see her family leaving for the airport in a cab, the mounds … Continue reading

Posted in Aging, boomerang children, community, everyday life, Family, lessons in life, life, marriage, not so empty nests, relationships, transitions | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

The Butterfly Effect

Photographing butterflies is difficult.  Somedays I just can’t get the shutter speed right.  The result is Victorian Fairy photographs—spots of light like Tinkerbell dancing in a meadow.  Butterflies, in the woods, in meadows, in gardens, represent beauty and delight.  We … Continue reading

Posted in Aging, changes, community, everyday life, Family, friends, lessons in life, life, nature, photography, poetry, relationships, transitions, Uncategorized, wildlife | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

A Stranger in a Strange Land

Sometimes I think I have moved to a foreign country, one where everyone speaks English but I don’t recognize the words.   The rules are similar; the customs are familiar, but I’m missing some crucial piece of information that everyone else … Continue reading

Posted in Aging, changes, childhood memories, community, everyday life, Family, life, Life in Connecticut, moving, New England, transitions | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Critters

Last night we had a thunder storm.  Spectacular lightning!  This morning I went out into the yard and found that something had trampled the day lilies in the front yard.  Trampled may not be the right word.  As a former … Continue reading

Posted in backyards, changes, community, everyday life, houses, life, nature, New England, transitions, wildlife | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Stone Walls

Lines from Robert Frost’s poem, “Mending Wall” run through my mind as my dogs patrol the one stone wall in my yard.  The speaker ruminates: “’Something there is that doesn’t love a wall/That wants it down.’  I could say ‘Elves’ … Continue reading

Posted in boomerang children, changes, community, dogs, everyday life, Family, life, New England, poetry, relationships, transitions | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Part 10: Our New Nest

How important is the place where one lives?  Is the building itself important?  Or is it the way one feels when one retreats to one’s abode?  Is home the heart?  The mind?  A fortress?  A retreat?  What makes a house … Continue reading

Posted in clutter, community, Family, houses, life, marriage, moving, relationships, transitions, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Part 8: A Truly Empty Nest

A note:  I wrote this before we closed on the house but never got to posting it.  The next few posts should bring us up-to date.  Stay tuned. Leaving home is what young people do.  Children become teenagers, dreaming of … Continue reading

Posted in community, Family, friends, moving, transitions | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments